Friday, June 17, 2011

Off to Italy today!

Hey everyone,

Welcome to my blog!  I set this up because many people have asked me what I will be doing this summer.  When I told people I am lucky enough to be studying Italian in Siena, Italy, they were always interested in what I would be doing there.  So I figured the easiest way to let people know what I'm doing would be to make a blog.

Let me tell you a little bit about Siena.  It's in Tuscany, about 45 miles south of Florence.  Those who have visited or studied Italy may know of Siena, but it isn't a household name like tourist hotspots Rome, Milan, Venice, Naples, or Florence.  A town of about 60,000 people, it is probably most famous for its semi-annual Palio.  The Palio is a horse race in the center of the main town square (pictured in the background of the blog) that thousands of thousands of people turn out to watch, tourists (both foreign and Italian) and locals alike.  10 of Siena's 17 contrade, or districts, enter a horse in the race, with bragging rights and contrada pride on the line.  We will be in Siena for the Palio in early July, and I'll be sure to post pictures here.

So I leave tonight, flying overnight to Rome and then taking a bus to Siena tomorrow afternoon.  I'll be staying with a host family a little ways outside of the city.  I've talked to my host mother by email, and I'm excited to meet her and the rest of her family soon!

More pictures and info to come.


A dopo!
Rhett

1 comment:

  1. Have fun! We can't wait to read all about your Italian adventures!!

    ReplyDelete