Monday, June 27, 2011

Cinque Terre

Sorry it's been a few days since I've posted, my internet isn't very accessible because my host family doesn't have wifi and my university hasn't set up my wireless account yet.


This past weekend a few of us went to Cinque Terre, a group of five small cities right on the Mediterranean west of Siena.  They're called Riomaggiore, Manarola, Corniglia, Vernazza, and Monterosso.  They're absolutely stunning! The six of us stayed at a small hostel in Riomaggiore on Friday night, then the next morning we did the hike from Riomaggiore to Manarola, then from Corniglia to Vernazza.  The views along the hike are incredible, huge cliffs going straight down into the ocean with small beaches tucked in between the, and the hills are covered in terraced vineyards.  It's easily the most beautiful place I've ever seen in my life.  I've included pictures. 

Tomorrow my entire class is going to Florence, about an hour-long bus ride away, but a few of us are going to go tonight instead so we can see more of the city.  We'll stay the night in a hostel there and then come back tomorrow night with the rest of the class.  I've heard amazing things about Florence, I'm sure it'll be incredible.


The Torre da Mangia, in the center of Siena.




 Vernazza, the fourth of the five Cinque Terre



 View looking down at one of the beaches we stopped at.



 In Riomaggiore, the first of the five Cinque Terre.



 Riomaggiore



 A street in Siena.  The red and white flag is one of the contrada flags of Siena - each contrada (neighborhood) has its own history, flag, shield, and enters its own horse into the semiannual Palio (horse race) in the main square (part of the main square can be seen in the picture of the Torre above).



 Arriving in Vernazza.  In the distance is the fifth of the Cinque Terre, Monterosso.



 The view outside our hostel in Riomaggiore.

No comments:

Post a Comment